About the Artist
Inspired by the sea since he was a child, Alex’s works are frozen images of his experiences on the water and the story’s of his Native American heritage inspire his native themed work. Creating full-time in his Southern California studio Alex uses modern and traditional tools needed to work the unforgiving materials. He truly enjoys the process and seeing a piece come to life from a mound of steel and a vision.
Alex grew up on the coast of Southern California along with generations of his family. Coming from a long line of ocean enthusiasts and artists Alex also has a passion for the sea and spends a majority of his time in and on the water. This has highly inspired his marine influenced work and his Native American heritage inspires his native influenced pieces.
His career as a professional skateboarder begun in his teens lead him to traveling extensively. While soaking in the sights of each destination visited he was always creating. During this time Alex also accumulated a significant amount of injuries and surgeries that eventually lead him to an early retirement. Back home in San Diego, California he chose to follow his other passions at full speed, just like his skating career.
Painting canvas and carving different exotic woods, Alex has always had a desire to create but after finding stainless steel and metal alloys, Alex knew he had found his home. He uses modern and traditional metal working tools in an unconventional manner. Creating sculptures using heat, hammers and all other tools needed to work the unforgiving material. He really enjoys everything about creating a piece of art from a mound of metal and a vision. Whether it be his or someone else's.
- 2017 - Group Exhibition - SC Art Collective - San Clamente CA
- 2016 - Contemporary Realism, Escondido Arts Partnership Municipal Gallery, Escondido CA
- 2016 - Sculpture group show, COAL Art Gallery, Carlsbad CA
- 2016 - Solo Exhibition, "Nautical Native Show", Art Beat On Main Street Art Gallery, Vista CA
- 2016 - Vista Civic Center, Group Show - Vista CA
- 2016 - The Green Show - Art Beat On Main Street, group show , Vista CA
- 2019 - Newport Beach Civic Center Park , Juried. Newport Beach CA
- 2019 - Kites over Vista public arts program. Juried. Vista CA
- 2018 - Kites Over Vista public arts program. Juried, Vista CA
- 2017 - Carlsbad public arts commission, Carlsbad CA
- 2016 - Kites Over Vista public arts program, Juried, Vista CA
- Honorable Mention Award in Contemporary Realism, Escondido Arts Partnership Municipal Gallery – May 2016
- 3rd place Award in Sculpture from COAL Art Gallery, in Carlsbad CA – May 2016
- 1st place in Sculpture, COAL Art Gallery - Nov 2016
- Artist Alliance, Oceanside Museum of Art, Oceanside CA
- Brandon Gallery, Fallbrook CA
- Afishinados Gallery, Avalon CA
- Oceanside Sea Center - Marine research, Education & Adventure, Oceanside CA
2000 - Current - Artist, Metal Sculptor, Acrylic on canvas, Creative maker, MIG welding, TIG welding, Metal forming, Wood work, CAD design, CNC Machinist, Public Art Installations
1995 - 2004 - Professional Skateboarder/Athlete, Artist, Creative
- Instagram: @GallArtworks
- Facebook: @GallArtworks